Grilled Eggplant, Provolone, and Green Olive Pizza
- Prep. Time:
- Cooking Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound eggplant, cut up into 3/4-inch-thick crescents
- 1 pound store-purchased pizza dough, room temperature
- 5 ounces (1 1/4 cups) sliced provolone, cut into short thin matchsticks
- 18 (1/3 cup) green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat.
Stir together garlic and olive oil, and brush some of the garlic-infused oil on each side of the eggplant, before lightly seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper. Grill covered until tender, turning once, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Cut into rough 1-inch pieces.
Press the dough out into a 12- by 10-inch rectangle on a large baking sheet and baste lightly with garlic oil. Oil the grill rack and place the dough, oiled side down, on grill. Brush the top of the doughwith more garlic oil. Grill covered, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly browned.
Return crust with tongs, grilled side up, to the baking sheet. Distribute the eggplant, cheese, olives, and parsley evenly over the crust. Slide the pizza back off the baking sheet and onto the grill rack and cook, covered, until the bottom is golden and the cheese is melted, or around 3 minutes.